The stable form of carbon is carbon 12 and the radioactive isotope carbon 14 decays over time into nitrogen 14 and other particles.
Carbon is naturally in all living organisms and is replenished in the tissues by eating other organisms or by breathing air that contains carbon.
The kerosene is purified by removing pollutants, using a clay filter.
Suppose the clay is in a pipe and as the kerosene flows through the pipe, every foot of clay removes 20% of the pollutants, leaving 80%.
At any particular time all living organisms have approximately the same ratio of carbon 12 to carbon 14 in their tissues.
When an organism dies it ceases to replenish carbon in its tissues and the decay of carbon 14 to nitrogen 14 changes the ratio of carbon 12 to carbon 14.
Radiocarbon dating can be used on samples of bone, cloth, wood and plant fibers.
Identify the effect on the graph of replacing f(x) by f(x) k, k f(x), f(kx), and f(x k) for specific values of k (both positive and negative); find the value of k given the graphs.
Experiment with cases and illustrate an explanation of the effects on the graph using technology.
Natasha Glydon Exponential decay is a particular form of a very rapid decrease in some quantity.
One specific example of exponential decay is purified kerosene, used for jet fuel.